bigbottleswap.com

Football: German goalkeeper Manuel Neuer sidelined until 2018 after leg injury

October 22, 2017 0

in Uncategorized @ 3:37 am

Thursday, September 21, 2017

On Tuesday, German football club Bayern Munich announced Manuel Neuer, their goalkeeper and captain, had surgery on his left foot and is expected to miss footballing action for the rest of the year. The club announced it via their website.

31-year-old Neuer suffered injury from Monday’s training for their match against Schalke 04. His hairline fracture of the metatarsal of his left foot was treated on Tuesday by Doctor Ulrich Stöckle in Tübingen.

Bayern Munich AG’s CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said, “Manuel Neuer has sustained another injury and we’re incredibly sorry for him. The operation went perfectly, whch is the most important thing for now. We and our captain are now looking to the future. Manuel will be back to his previous best and available to us again in January.” ((de)) German language: Dass Manuel Neuer sich erneut eine Verletzung zugezogen hat, tut uns wahnsinnig leid für ihn. Die Operation ist optimal verlaufen und das ist jetzt das Wichtigste. Wir sehen jetzt gemeinsam mit unserem Kapitän nach vorne. Manuel wird uns im Januar in alter Stärke wieder zur Verfügung stehen.

Former Stuttgart goalie Sven Ulreich, who played only twelve games since joining Bayern in 2015 until Monday, is likely to fill Neuer’s place until Neuer returns. Baryern faces Celtic as well as Paris-Saint Germain in the group stage of UEFA Champions League. FC Barcelona’s shotstopper Marc-André ter Stegen is expected to guard the German nets for the upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifiers for next year’s tournament in Russia.

Neuer suffered a toe injury in March, and a fracture after the second leg of UEFA Champions League quarter-final against Real Madrid in April. Neuer recovered from the original fracture from April, and joined the team late last month. His club and national teammates including Robert Lewandowski, Thomas Müller, Franck Ribéry, Jerome Boateng, Mario Götze, and Toni Kroos wished him a speedy recovery via Twitter.

Israeli spy satellite launched by Indian rocket

0

in Uncategorized @ 3:32 am

Monday, January 21, 2008 File:Pslv-pad.jpg

Israel has today launched an advanced spy satellite, named TecSAR, into orbit on board India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle. The PSLV successfully launched from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at 3:45 a.m. GMT today, with a successful cast off from the launch rocket at around 4:05 a.m. GMT. Israel Aerospace Industries report that the first signals were received 80 minutes after the launch, present at which were both Israeli and Indian space engineers.

The launch was delayed several times for unclear reasons. At one point, it was rumoured that the launch had been cancelled completely due to pressure from the US Government. Indian and Israeli authorities denied this, however, citing technical problems instead.

The satellite, also referred to as Polaris, is equipped with the latest in spy technology, including Synthetic aperture radar, which can be used to provide details information on ground cover. The BBC also reports “enhanced footage technology” – which allows Israel to receive video and images at any time of day or night, and under any weather conditions. Israeli defence officials have said that the satellites main purpose is to track events in Iran, the countries’ number one foe. The events that they wish to track include the Iranian nuclear programme, as well as military happenings in Iran and Syria.

The satellite is capable of a maximum resolution of 10 centimetres, of which the first images wil be available in “a few weeks.” Development of the satellite has been quoted as “tens of millions of dollars” – and India is benefiting from a major boost in the commercialisation of the countries’ 45-year-old space program – which hopes to compete with the US, Russia, China, the Ukraine and the European Space Agency in the satellite launch service field.

At least fifteen dead after landslide in Indonesia

October 21, 2017 0

in Uncategorized @ 2:32 am

Thursday, February 25, 2010

At least fifteen people have been killed as the result of a landslide which occurred in Indonesia on Tuesday. According to BBC News Online, at least sixteen were killed. It is thought that up to seventy people were killed as a result of the landslide, which occurred in a village near to the city of Bandung.

At one point, villagers attempted to dig out surviving victims from the rocks and mud by using their bare hands, as rescue efforts were suspended temporarily due to heavy rain, before recommencing after lifting equipment arrived. At least sixteen dead bodies have been recovered by Wednesday. Roughly five hundred people are contributing to the search and rescue.

Priyadi Kardono, spokesperson for the Disaster Management Agency, stated: “We’ve found fifteen bodies so far and estimate that there are up to 70 people still missing.” He also commented that fifteen other people had been injured, of which two have been hospitalised.

Man auctions his life on eBay, is disappointed at sale price

October 20, 2017 0

in Uncategorized @ 3:30 am

Monday, June 30, 2008

After auctioning off his entire life on eBay for A$399,300 (244 912.148) Ian Usher says he is “a little bit disappointed” at the final selling price.

The 44-year-old British immigrant living in Perth, Australia, put all of his worldly belongings up for sale on the popular auction website, including his three-bedroom house and all its contents, his car, motorcycle, jetski, skydiving gear, and his job at a rug store, for which he offered a two week trial period. He even offered introductions to his friends living in Perth.

Usher made the decision to sell his life after his five-year marriage suddenly ended. On his website, alife4sale.com, he explains that “despite my life being busy and fulfilled, I still miss my wife so much. Everything in my home is a reminder of the wonderful past we shared. So, after a year in this house I decided that it is time to sell it and move on.”

It was as much about moving on as it was about selling it for as much as I could get.

During the 7 day auction, which ended on Sunday, there were several bogus bids which brought the sale price as high as A$2.2 million, but the final price ended up at A$399,300, which was around A$100,000 less than Usher had hoped for. “I’m a little bit disappointed, but I’m still excited. It’s still enough to move forward and do what I said I was going to do, which is move on to the next part of my life,” Usher said. “It was as much about moving on as it was about selling it for as much as I could get.”

According to Reuters, the winning bidder, whose username is “mslmcc”, also lives in Australia, and has a 100 percent feedback rating. Usher says he hasn’t yet been able to figure out who the buyer is, because of the TV crews lined up in front of his home. “I’m trying to find some time to get on the computer and check it out … I haven’t looked (up) anything about them yet,” he said.

Usher now plans to go off in search of a new life. His initial plan, as he describes on his website, was to just walk out his front door with just his wallet and a passport and board a train, with no idea of where to go. He has since launched 100goals100weeks.com, which will document his attempt to complete 100 of his life goals in a span of 100 weeks. Some of these goals include getting a pilot’s license, climbing the Eiffel Tower, learning to play the didgeridoo, and shaking hands with billionaire Richard Branson.

“I was pretty aimless when I started this, and I had a vague notion of adventure, but I’ve come up with a much more solid plan, which is still very adventurous,” Usher says. He invites anyone who is interested to join him on his adventures.

Gay Talese on the state of journalism, Iraq and his life

0

in Uncategorized @ 3:02 am

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Gay Talese wants to go to Iraq. “It so happens there is someone that’s working on such a thing right now for me,” the 75-year-old legendary journalist and author told David Shankbone. “Even if I was on Al-Jazeera with a gun to my head, I wouldn’t be pleading with those bastards! I’d say, ‘Go ahead. Make my day.'”

Few reporters will ever reach the stature of Talese. His 1966 profile of Frank Sinatra, Frank Sinatra Has a Cold, was not only cited by The Economist as the greatest profile of Sinatra ever written, but is considered the greatest of any celebrity profile ever written. In the 70th anniversary issue of Esquire in October 2003, the editors declared the piece the “Best Story Esquire Ever Published.”

Talese helped create and define a new style of literary reporting called New Journalism. Talese himself told National Public Radio he rejects this label (“The term new journalism became very fashionable on college campuses in the 1970s and some of its practitioners tended to be a little loose with the facts. And that’s where I wanted to part company.”)

He is not bothered by the Bancrofts selling The Wall Street Journal—”It’s not like we should lament the passing of some noble dynasty!”—to Rupert Murdoch, but he is bothered by how the press supported and sold the Iraq War to the American people. “The press in Washington got us into this war as much as the people that are controlling it,” said Talese. “They took information that was second-hand information, and they went along with it.” He wants to see the Washington press corp disbanded and sent around the country to get back in touch with the people it covers; that the press should not be so focused on–and in bed with–the federal government.

Augusten Burroughs once said that writers are experience junkies, and Talese fits the bill. Talese–who has been married to Nan Talese (she edited James Frey‘s Million Little Piece) for fifty years–can be found at baseball games in Cuba or the gay bars of Beijing, wanting to see humanity in all its experience.

Below is Wikinews reporter David Shankbone’s interview with Gay Talese.

Contents

  • 1 On Gay Talese
  • 2 On a higher power and how he’d like to die
  • 3 On the media and Iraq
  • 4 On the Iraq War
  • 5 State of Journalism
  • 6 On travel to Cuba
  • 7 On Chinese gay bars
  • 8 On the literary canon
  • 9 Sources

Fans worldwide queue for new iPhone

0

in Uncategorized @ 2:34 am

Friday, June 19, 2009

Fans throughout the world have been queuing up outside stores for the release of Apple’s new iPhone, titled the iPhone 3GS. The phone went on sale on Friday morning around the world. According to CNN, around 300 people were queuing outside Apple’s New York store while employees were briefed inside.

Lines however, were not as long as was anticipated, with surplus metal barriers outside stores. An Apple employee was quoted as saying that the lines were shorter than this time last year.

The new iPhone contains a faster processor, a digital compass and a video camera. Ever since the launch of the original iPhone two years ago, it has been praised for “making smartphones cool”, with over 17 million handsets being sold.

However, critics have said that the new update deals are too costly. The telecommunications company O2 has made owners of Apple’s current iPhone products buy out their contracts should they wish to purchase the new phone.

Firefox browser reaches fifty million downloads

0

in Uncategorized @ 2:10 am

Sunday, May 1, 2005

Mozilla Firefox, the Gecko-based open source browser, has now been downloaded over fifty million times from the official download sites and mirrors.

The fifty millionth download itself came at 8:58am PST on April 29. The number excludes upgrades. A real time counter is available at http://www.spreadfirefox.com/fifty.html .

The browser was first released to the public as major release 1.0 on November 9, 2004. There have since been three minor security upgrades, with the current version being 1.0.3.

The browser can trace its roots back to the Netscape Navigator of the 1990s. Development of Firefox itself began in 2002, when Dave Hyatt and Blake Ross began writing the new browser using the codebase of the Mozilla Suite as their starting point, which itself was an open-sourced version of Netscape Navigator.

Originally named Phoenix, the browser was renamed Firebird and then Firefox due to a series of trademark issues.

Turkey mourns flotilla dead

0

in Uncategorized @ 2:00 am

Friday, June 4, 2010

Funerals and prayers for nine activists, who died in Israel’s Gaza flotilla raid, were held in Istanbul on Thursday.

Tens of thousands attended the funeral of the nine Turkish nationals, including one teen of dual U.S.-Turkish citizenship. The coffins were draped in Turkish and Palestinian flags. There was widespread anger from those attending. Released activists arrived to their home countries yesterday and today.

The Turkish President Abdullah Gül said that Turkey would act calmly and said;

Turkey will never forget such an attack on its ships and its people in international waters. The relations between Israel and Turkey will never be the same again, unless Israel apologises.

The youngest of the nine activists killed, a 19-year-old high school student Furkan Dogan, was shot in the head and chest. He was born in Troy, New York, but moved to Turkey when he was two. He will be buried in his family’s hometown of Kayseri in central Turkey on Friday. A United States State Department spokesman said it would probe the death of the Turkish-American killed, but said the FBI were not involved “at this point.”

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu insisted that soldiers were acting in self-defence. He said the activists were not peace activists but “violent supporters of terrorism”. Israel has stated that of the 7 soldiers wounded during the assault, 2 were shot with weapons wrestled from Israeli forces. But Swedish activist Mattias Gardell scoffed at such statements, replying, “the Israelis started shooting first. We had no weapons, the Israelis had weapons”.

Abdullah Gül said Israel committed “one of the biggest mistakes ever in its history,” and the Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdo?an called Israel’s actions “a historic mistake.” The leader of the Islamic charity IHH spoke to the crowd, saying, “The whole world supports us. We will shake the foundations of Zionism”.

The activists had attempted to break the Israeli blockade of Gaza. The Irish ship MV Rachel Corrie arriving some time this weekend, will be the next ship to challenge the blockade.

Bolt to train with Borussia Dortmund

October 19, 2017 0

in Uncategorized @ 2:58 am

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

On Sunday, German football club Borussia Dortmund (BVB) announced Jamaican athlete Usain Bolt is to train with the club. 30-year-old Usain Bolt, a nine-time Olympics gold-medal winning sprinter, is a Manchester United F.C. supporter.

Known as “the fastest man on earth”, Bolt is sponsored by German sports company Puma who also sponsors Borussia Dortmund. According to Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke, Puma CEO Bjørn Gulden informed the club of Usain’s interest in practising with them.

In remarks to magazine Kicker, Watzke said this was “neither a joke nor a marketing measure”. He did say, “We wouldn’t organise it during a period where we have a midweek game, of course, but perhaps during a preparatory phase or something like that”. Watzke said BVB coach Thomas Tuchel is agreeable with the idea, but the club hasn’t suggested offering the Jamaican a contract.

Taking about a chance to play for his favoured club, Bolt said, “For me, if I could get to play for Manchester United, that would be like a dream come true. Yes, that would be epic.”

Bolt won three Olympics gold medals in this year’s Olympics edition in Rio de Janeiro. Bolt has indicated he means to retire from athletics after next year’s World Championships scheduled to be hosted in London in August.

“Children of Men” wins Scripter Award for writing

0

in Uncategorized @ 2:38 am

Friday, January 12, 2007

Children of Men, a movie based on a P.D. James book, has won the 2006 USC Scripter Award for its writing. Both the original author, James, and the screenwriting team will be honored by the University of South California for their work.

The winning screenwriters are Alfonso Cuaron, Timothy J. Sexton, David Arata, Mark Fergus, and Hawk Ostby. The Children of Men was James’ 12th book, written in 1992.

USC School of Cinematic Arts Writing Division Chair Howard A. Rodman commented

This year’s five nominated films were, all of them, heartfelt and elegantly wrought. In that heady company, ‘Children of Men’ was first among equals. Messrs. Cuarón, Sexton, Arata, Fergus, and Ostby took P.D. James’s bracingly dystopic novel and crafted from it a film at once brave, subtle, shocking. This is writing and screenwriting of the highest order.

For nineteen years, the USC Libraries Scripter Award has honored “writers for the best achievement in adaptation among English-language films released during the previous year and based on a book, novella or short story.” While there are many awards for either screenwriting in general, or adapted screenwriting, the Scripter is the only award to recognize both the screenwriters and the original authors.

Also nominated was:

  • screenwriter Aline Brosh McKenna and author Lauren Weisberger for The Devil Wears Prada
  • screenwriter Neil Berger for The Illusionist, based on the story “Eisenheim the Illusionist” by Steven Millhauser
  • screenwriters Peter Morgan and Jeremy Brock for The Last King of Scotland, based on the book by Giles Foden
  • screenwriter Patrick Marber and author Zoe Heller for Notes on a Scandal

The titles were selected by committee, from a list of forty-five eligible films. The committee is made of Writers Guild of America members (including some Academy Award-winning screenwriters and Academy Award-nominated screen writers), authors, film industry executives, USC faculty, the dean of the USC Libraries, and selected members of the Friends of the USC Libraries, the sponsor of the event.

Previous screenwriters and authors honored include the teams behind Capote, Million Dollar Baby, The Hours, A Beautiful Mind, L.A. Confidential, The English Patient and Schindler’s List.

Next Page »